Brian Jones
British musician
Brian Jones
Lewis Brian Hopkins Jones was an English musician and a founder member of The Rolling Stones. Jones' main instruments were the guitar and the harmonica, but he was a talented and wide-ranging multi-instrumentalist. His innovative use of traditional or folk instruments, such as the sitar and marimba, was integral to the changing sound of the band.
Brian Jones's personal information overview.
Photo Albums
Popular photos of Brian Jones
News abour Brian Jones from around the web
CRITIC'S NOTEBOOK; A Celebration of Bach, as a Counterpoise to Painful Memories
NYTimes - over 5 years
What does Bach, or any classical composer, have to do with Sept. 11? For most people nothing, but for some of us everything. Trinity Church's weeklong series of concerts and observances of the 10th anniversary of Sept. 11, Remember to Love, when I caught up with it on Wednesday, set me to thinking about incomprehensibility. This was a program of
Article Link:
NYTimes article
Andy Parrino of Brockport called up to major leagues with Padres - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Google News - over 5 years
Brockport baseball coach Brian Jones was thrilled to hear about Parrino's promotion. "I am elated but not surprised," said Jones, the head coach at Brockport for 22 years. "Every level he has gone to, he has progressed. I am not surprised,
Article Link:
Google News article
Shaw indicted for embezzlement - The Columbus Packet
Google News - over 5 years
Former Columbus Packet employee Aimee Shaw has been indicted on charges she embezzled money from the paper. Shaw was arrested September 18, 2010, and bound over to the grand jury following a hearing in Columbus Municipal Court in
Article Link:
Google News article
Rural Fire Fee is Political 'Sleight of Hand' Assemblyman Jones Testifies -
Google News - over 5 years
The controversial rural fire fee imposed by the state is nothing more than "political sleight of hand" and constitutes an illegal tax, Assemblyman Brian Jones told the state Board of Equalization on Tuesday. The Board is charged with collecting the
Article Link:
Google News article
Kell Classic: Walton Rolls Past PTR - GPB
Google News - over 5 years
The final game of the Metro PCS Corky Kell Classic featured two teams that have never played against each other. Walton and Peachtree Ridge did battle in the night cap game at the Georgia Dome and the Raiders were able to come away with
Article Link:
Google News article
Assemblyman Brian Jones celebrates opening of new district office -
Google News - over 5 years
Former Santee Councilman and current 77th District Assemblyman Brian Jones celebrated the grand opening of his new district office with an old-fashioned ice cream social on Thursday, August 18, 2011. The new office, located at 10152 Mission Gorge Rd.,
Article Link:
Google News article
Amy Winehouse Found Dead in London, Police Say
NYTimes - over 5 years
LONDON — Amy Winehouse , the Grammy -award winning singer who has battled addiction problems for years, was found dead on Saturday at her apartment in London, the police said. She was 27. The police were called by an ambulance to Ms. Winehouse’s apartment in Camden, North London, shortly before 4:05 pm, the police said in a statement.
Article Link:
NYTimes article
Some area teams get back on gridiron - Press-Enterprise
Google News - over 5 years
MENIFEE - Dyed for the occasion, Brian Jones' blond hair seemed to set the tone for the Menifee Paloma Valley passing tournament -- flashy and fun, but not necessarily consequential. The Temecula Great Oak wide receiver and defensive
Article Link:
Google News article
Entering into a partnership agreement - StartupSmart
Google News - over 5 years
Brian Jones is the founder of Fortitude Financial Management, a Victorian-based business providing life insurance solutions across the business, personal and superannuation sectors. Jones and his business partner started the
Article Link:
Google News article
From the archive, 8 July 1969: Jones drowned while 'drunk and drugged' - The Guardian
Google News - over 5 years
Brian Jones, the former Rolling Stone, drowned in the swimming pool of his farmhouse in Sussex "while under the influence of alcohol and drugs," a coroner said yesterday. The East Sussex coroner, Dr Angus Sommerville, recorded death by misadventure
Article Link:
Google News article
July 1969: Rolling Stones Hyde Park gig marred by death of Brian Jones - The Guardian (blog)
Google News - over 5 years
On 3 July, guitarist Brian Jones, who had left the band by mutual consent a month earlier, drowned in the swimming pool of his Sussex home, aged just 27. At the inquest, held on 7 July, the coroner ruled death by misadventure "while under the influence
Article Link:
Google News article
Approaches to Knowledge: Interview with Nathaniel B. Jones - (blog)
Google News - over 5 years
Dr. Brian Jones has a PhD in exercise science and is a full-time professor at the University of Louisville where he teaches both graduate and undergraduate courses. He approaches all his courses with a scientific mindset, emphasizing the
Article Link:
Google News article
Learn about memorable moments in the evolution of Brian Jones
  • 1969
    The band asked Jones to leave the Rolling Stones in June 1969 and guitarist Mick Taylor took his place in the group.
    More Details Hide Details Jones died less than a month later by drowning in the swimming pool at his home on Cotchford Farm in Hartfield, East Sussex. Original Rolling Stones bass guitarist Bill Wyman said of Jones, "He formed the band. He chose the members. He named the band. He chose the music we played. He got us gigs.... he was very influential, very important, and then slowly lost it – highly intelligent – and just kind of wasted it and blew it all away."
    At around midnight on the night of 2–3 July 1969, Jones was discovered motionless at the bottom of his swimming pool at Cotchford Farm.
    More Details Hide Details His Swedish girlfriend, Anna Wohlin, was convinced Jones was alive when he was taken out of the pool insisting he still had a pulse. However, by the time the doctors arrived it was too late and he was pronounced dead. The coroner's report stated "death by misadventure" and noted his liver and heart were heavily enlarged by drug and alcohol abuse. Upon Jones's death, The Who's Pete Townshend wrote a poem titled "A Normal Day for Brian, A Man Who Died Every Day" (printed in The Times), Jimi Hendrix dedicated a song to him on US television, and Jim Morrison of The Doors published a poem titled "Ode to L.A. While Thinking of Brian Jones, Deceased". Ironically, Hendrix and Morrison both died within the following two years, both aged 27, the same age as Jones.
    Jones released a statement on 9 June 1969, announcing his departure.
    More Details Hide Details In this statement he said, among other things, that "I no longer see eye-to-eye with the others over the discs we are cutting". Jones was replaced by 20-year-old guitarist Mick Taylor (formerly of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers). During the period of his decreasing involvement in the band Jones was living at Cotchford Farm in East Sussex, the residence formerly owned by Winnie-the-Pooh author A. A. Milne which Jones had purchased in November 1968. Alexis Korner, who visited in late June, noted that Jones seemed "happier than he had ever been". Jones is known to have contacted Korner, Ian Stewart, John Lennon, Mitch Mitchell, and Jimmy Miller about intentions to put together another band. Jones had apparently demoed a few of his own songs in the weeks before his death, including "Has Anybody Seen My Baby?" and "Chow Time".
    At the suggestion of pianist and road manager Ian Stewart, the Stones decided to add a new guitarist and on 8 June 1969, Jones was visited by Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, and Charlie Watts and he was told that the group he had formed would continue without him.
    More Details Hide Details To the public it appeared as if Jones had left voluntarily; the other band members told him that although he was being asked to leave it was his choice how to break it to the public.
    Looking frail, he nonetheless showed up and his last photo session as a Rolling Stone took place on 21 May 1969, first at St. Katherine Docks, Tower Bridge, London and then at Ethan Russell's photographic studio in South Kensington.
    More Details Hide Details The photos would appear on the album Through The Past Darkly (Big Hits Vol.2) in September 1969. The Stones decided that following the release of the Let it Bleed album (scheduled for a July 1969 release in the US) they would start a North American tour in November 1969. However, the Stones management was informed that because of his drug convictions Jones would not receive a work permit.
    In May 1969, Jones crashed his motorcycle into a shop window and was secretly taken to a hospital under an assumed name.
    More Details Hide Details From this point, Jones was still attending recording sessions, but was no longer a major contributor to the band's music. By May, he had made two contributions to the work in progress: autoharp on "You Got the Silver" and percussion on "Midnight Rambler". Jagger informed Jones that he would be fired from the band if he did not turn up to a photo session.
    This behaviour was problematic during the Beggar's Banquet sessions and had worsened by the time the band commenced recording Let It Bleed. In March 1969, Jones borrowed the group's Jaguar and went shopping in Pimlico Road.
    More Details Hide Details After the parked car was towed by police Jones hired a chauffeur car to get home.
    Jones's legal troubles, estrangement from his bandmates, substance abuse, and mood swings became too much of an obstacle to his active participation in the band. The Rolling Stones wanted to tour the United States in 1969 for the first time in three years but Jones was not in fit condition to tour and his second arrest exacerbated problems with acquiring a US work visa.
    More Details Hide Details In addition, Jones' attendance at rehearsals and recording sessions had become erratic; and when he did appear he either rarely contributed anything musically or, when he did, his bandmates would switch off his amplifier, leaving Richards to play nearly all the guitars. According to author Gary Herman, Jones was "literally incapable of making music; when he tried to play harmonica his mouth started bleeding".
  • 1968
    Jones was arrested a second time on 21 May 1968, for possession of cannabis, which Jones said had been left by previous tenants of the flat.
    More Details Hide Details Due to his being on probation, he was facing a long jail sentence if found guilty. The jury found him guilty but the judge had sympathy for Jones; instead of jailing him, he fined him £50 plus £105 in costs and told him: "For goodness sake, don't get into trouble again or it really will be serious".
    Where once Jones played multiple instruments on many tracks, he now played only minor roles on a few pieces. Jones's last formal appearance was in the December 1968 The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus, a part concert, part circus-act film organised by the band.
    More Details Hide Details It went unreleased for 25 years because Jagger was unhappy with the band's performance compared to others in the film such as Jethro Tull, The Who, and Taj Mahal. Commentary included as bonus material indicated that almost everyone at the concert sensed that the end of Jones's time with the Rolling Stones was near, and Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend of The Who thought it would be Jones's last live musical performance.
    Jones's last substantial sessions with the Stones occurred in spring and summer of 1968 when the Stones produced "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and the Beggars Banquet album.
    More Details Hide Details He can be seen in the Jean-Luc Godard film One Plus One playing acoustic guitar and chatting and sharing cigarettes with Richards, although Jones is neglected in the music-making. The film chronicles the making of "Sympathy for the Devil".
  • 1967
    In Peter Whitehead's promotional film for "We Love You", made in July 1967, he appears groggy.
    More Details Hide Details
    In March 1967, Anita Pallenberg, Jones's girlfriend of two years, left him for Richards when Jones was hospitalised during a trip the three made to Morocco, further damaging the already strained relations between Jones and Richards.
    More Details Hide Details As tensions and Jones's substance abuse increased, his musical contributions became sporadic. He became bored with the guitar and sought exotic instruments to play, and he was increasingly absent from recording sessions.
    In June 1967, Jones attended the Monterey Pop Festival.
    More Details Hide Details There he met Frank Zappa and Dennis Hopper, and went on stage to introduce the Jimi Hendrix Experience who were not yet well known in the United States. Hostility grew between Jones, Jagger, and Richards, alienating Jones further from the group. Although many noted that Jones could be friendly and outgoing, Wyman, Richards, and Watts have commented that he could also be cruel and difficult. By most accounts, Jones's attitude changed frequently; he was one minute caring and generous, the next making an effort to anger everyone. As Wyman observed in Stone Alone: "There were at least two sides to Brian's personality. One Brian was introverted, shy, sensitive, deep-thinking. The other was a preening peacock, gregarious, artistic, desperately needing assurance from his peers." "He pushed every friendship to the limit and way beyond".
    Jones was arrested for drug possession on 10 May 1967, shortly after the "Redlands" incident at Richards' Sussex home.
    More Details Hide Details Authorities found marijuana, cocaine, and methamphetamine in his flat. He confessed to marijuana use but claimed he did not use hard drugs.
  • 1965
    In March 1965 Dawn gave birth to Brian's fifth child Paul Molloy, renamed John Maynard by his adoptive parents.
    More Details Hide Details Jones left Cheltenham and moved to London where he became friends with fellow musicians Alexis Korner, future Manfred Mann singer Paul Jones, then named Paul Pond, future Cream bassist Jack Bruce, and others who made up the small London rhythm and blues and jazz scene there. He became a blues musician, for a brief time calling himself "Elmo Lewis", and playing slide guitar. Jones also started a group with Paul Jones called the Roosters and in January 1963, after both Brian and Paul left the group, Eric Clapton took over Brian's position as guitarist.
  • 1964
    On 23 July 1964 another woman, Linda Lawrence, gave birth to Jones's fourth child, Julian Brian.
    More Details Hide Details In early October 1964, an occasional girlfriend of Brian's, Dawn Molloy, announced to Brian and the band's management that she was pregnant by Brian. She received a cheque for £700 from Andrew Loog Oldham, LTD. In return, she signed an agreement that the matter was now closed and she would make no statement about Brian Jones or the child to the public or the press. The undated statement was signed by Malloy and witnessed by Mick Jagger.
  • 1963
    According to Oldham in his book Stoned, Jones was an outsider from the beginning. When the first tours were arranged in 1963, he travelled separately from the band, stayed at different hotels, and demanded extra pay.
    More Details Hide Details According to Oldham, Jones was very emotional and felt alienated because he was not a prolific songwriter and his management role had been taken away. He "resisted the symbiosis demanded by the group lifestyle, and so life was becoming more desperate for him day by day. None of us were looking forward to Brian totally cracking up". The toll from days on the road, the money and fame, and the feeling of being alienated from the group resulted in Jones's overindulgence in alcohol and other drugs. These excesses had a debilitative effect on his physical health and, according to Oldham, Jones became unfriendly and antisocial at times.
  • 1962
    From September 1962 to September 1963 Jones, Jagger and Richards shared a flat (referred to by Richards as "a beautiful dump") at 102 Edith Grove, Chelsea, with James Phelge, a future photographer whose name was used in some of the group's early "Nanker/Phelge" writing credits.
    More Details Hide Details Jones and Richards spent day after day playing guitar while listening to blues records (notably Jimmy Reed, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon and Howlin' Wolf). During this time, Jones also taught Jagger how to play harmonica. The four Rollin' Stones went searching for a bassist and drummer, finally settling on Bill Wyman on bass because he had a spare VOX AC30 guitar amplifier and always had cigarettes, as well as a bass guitar that he had built himself. After playing with Mick Avory, Tony Chapman and Carlo Little, in January 1963 they finally persuaded jazz-influenced Charlie Watts to join them. At the time, Watts was considered by fellow musicians to be one of the better drummers in London; he had played with (among others) Alexis Korner's group Blues Incorporated. Watts described Jones's role in these early days: "Brian was very instrumental in pushing the band at the beginning. Keith and I would look at him and say he was barmy. It was a crusade to him to get us on the stage in a club and be paid half-a-crown and to be billed as an R&B band".
    The Rollin' Stones played their first gig on 12 July 1962 in the Marquee Club in London with Jagger, Richards, Jones, Stewart, bass player Dick Taylor (later of the Pretty Things) and drummer Tony Chapman.
    More Details Hide Details
    Jones placed an advertisement in Jazz News (a Soho club information sheet) of 2 May 1962 inviting musicians to audition for a new R&B group at the Bricklayer's Arms pub; pianist Ian "Stu" Stewart was the first to respond.
    More Details Hide Details Later singer Mick Jagger also joined this band; Jagger and his childhood friend Keith Richards had met Jones when he and Paul Jones were playing Elmore James' "Dust My Broom" with Korner's band at the Ealing Jazz Club. Jagger brought guitarist Richards to rehearsals; Richards then joined the band. Jones's and Stewart's acceptance of Richards and the Chuck Berry songs he wanted to play coincided with the departure of blues purists Geoff Bradford and Brian Knight, who had no tolerance for Chuck Berry. As Keith Richards tells it, Jones came up with the name the "Rollin' Stones" (later with the 'g') while on the phone with a venue owner. "The voice on the other end of the line obviously said, 'What are you called?' Panic. The Best of Muddy Waters album was lying on the floor—and track five, side one was 'Rollin' Stone'".
  • 1961
    On 23 October 1961, Jones's girlfriend Pat Andrews gave birth to his third child, Julian Mark Andrews.
    More Details Hide Details Jones sold his record collection to buy flowers for Pat and clothes for the newborn. He lived with them for a while.
    In 1961, Jones applied for a scholarship to Cheltenham Art College.
    More Details Hide Details He was initially accepted into the programme, but two days later the offer was withdrawn after an unidentified acquaintance wrote to the college, calling Jones an irresponsible drifter.
  • 1959
    In November 1959, Jones went to the Wooden Bridge Hotel in Guildford to see a band perform.
    More Details Hide Details He met a young married woman named Angeline, and the two had a one-night stand that resulted in her pregnancy. Angeline and her husband decided to raise the baby, Belinda, born on 4 August 1960. Jones never knew about her birth.
    In late summer 1959, Jones's 17-year-old girlfriend, a Cheltenham schoolgirl named Valerie Corbett, became pregnant.
    More Details Hide Details Although Jones is said to have encouraged her to have an abortion, she carried the child to term and placed baby Barry David (later Simon) for adoption. Jones quit school in disgrace and left home, travelling for a summer through Northern Europe and Scandinavia. During this period, he lived a bohemian lifestyle, busking with his guitar on the streets for money, and living off the charity of others. Eventually, he ran short of money and returned to England. Jones listened to classical music as a child, but preferred blues, particularly Elmore James and Robert Johnson. He began performing at local blues and jazz clubs, while busking and working odd jobs. He reportedly stole small amounts of money from work to pay for cigarettes, for which he was fired.
  • 1957
    In 1957 he reportedly obtained seven O-level passes, then he continued into the sixth form and obtained a further two O-levels.
    More Details Hide Details He also took three A-levels in Physics, Chemistry and Biology and passed in Physics and Chemistry, but failed in Biology. Jones was able to perform well in exams despite a lack of academic effort. However, he found school regimented and disliked conforming. He disliked the school uniforms and angered teachers with his behaviour, though he was popular with classmates. Jones himself said: "When I made the sixth form I found myself accepted by the older boys; suddenly I was in." His hostility to authority figures resulted in his suspension from school on two occasions. According to Dick Hattrell, a childhood friend: "He was a rebel without a cause, but when examinations came he was brilliant."
  • 1949
    Jones attended local schools, including Dean Close School, from September 1949 to July 1953 and Cheltenham Grammar School for Boys, which he entered in September 1953 after passing the Eleven-plus exam.
    More Details Hide Details He enjoyed badminton and diving at school and attained first clarinet in the school orchestra.
  • 1942
    Lewis Brian Hopkin Jones was born in the Park Nursing Home in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, on 28 February 1942.
    More Details Hide Details An attack of croup at the age of four left him with asthma, which lasted for the rest of his life. His middle-class parents, Lewis Blount Jones and Louisa Beatrice Jones (née Simmonds) were of Welsh descent. Brian had two sisters: Pamela, who was born on 3 October 1943 and died on 14 October 1945 of leukaemia; and Barbara, born on 22 August 1946. Both Jones's parents were interested in music: his mother Louisa was a piano teacher, and in addition to his job as an aeronautical engineer, Lewis Jones played piano and organ and led the choir at the local church. In 1957 Jones first heard Cannonball Adderley's music, which inspired his interest in jazz. Jones persuaded his parents to buy him a saxophone, and two years later his parents gave him his first acoustic guitar as a 17th birthday present.
Original Authors of this text are noted here.
All data offered is derived from public sources. Spokeo does not verify or evaluate each piece of data, and makes no warranties or guarantees about any of the information offered. Spokeo does not possess or have access to secure or private financial information. Spokeo is not a consumer reporting agency and does not offer consumer reports. None of the information offered by Spokeo is to be considered for purposes of determining any entity or person's eligibility for credit, insurance, employment, housing, or for any other purposes covered under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)