Debora Green
American doctor, convicted for murder
Debora Green
Debora Green is an American physician who pleaded no contest to setting a 1995 fire which burned down her family's home and killed two of her children, and to poisoning her husband with ricin with the intention of causing his death. The case was sensational, and covered heavily by news media, especially in the Kansas–Missouri area, where the crimes occurred.
Debora Green's personal information overview.
Photo Albums
Popular photos of Debora Green
View family, career and love interests for Debora Green
News abour Debora Green from around the web
Injured man stuck in Peru after attack
Bury Free Press - over 4 years
THE family of a 41-year-old man who has been left stranded in a South American hospital after being mugged have spoken of their ‘disgust’ at the Foreign Office. Shaun Mallet, from Stanton, suffered a slashed throat, wrist and feet, a punctured lung and head injuries when he was attacked in Peru on September 9. He did not have travel insurance, leaving his family facing escalating medical bills that have already reached $7,000. Deborah Green-Mallet, Shaun’s sister-in-law, said help from the British Embassy in Lima and the Foreign Office had not been forthcoming. “All we want to know is who we pay hospital bills to,” she said. “At the moment his friends out there are paying for them because the Foreign Office aren’t helping us and it’s disgusting, to be honest.” An air ambulance to carry Shaun from the hospital in Pucallpa to Lima, will cost the family $1,500 alone. It is believed that Mr Mallet was attacked after venturing out alone from the guest house he was staying in near P ...
Article Link:
Bury Free Press article
Eva Peralta ofrece recital - El Mexicano - Baja California
Google News - over 5 years
Débora Green, dando así inicio con Noé Sandoval y la Sonata #20 de Joseph Haydn; Brent Avery con Rapsodia #2 de Franz Lizt; Samantha López, Gavota en Sol Menor de JS Bach; Gisela Romero, Claro de Luna de Claudio Debbusy; Gaspar Peralta, Sonata #17 van
Article Link:
Google News article
Suburb's Veneer Cracks: Mother Is Held in Deaths
NYTimes - almost 6 years
TAMPA -- The Tampa Palms neighborhood here is the kind of place people move to get away from crime. Stucco homes with neatly trimmed lawns and spacious lanais nestle inside gated ''villages'' with names like Lancaster and Oxford Place. Real estate agents point out the proximity of ''topnotch'' schools, the 18-hole golf course and other upscale
Article Link:
NYTimes article
Mother Sentenced to Life In Fire Fatal to 2 Children
NYTimes - over 20 years
Dr. Debora Green, who pleaded no contest to arson and murder in the deaths of two of her children, was sentenced to two life terms on Thursday. Through sobs, Dr. Green said in court that alcohol, psychiatric problems and family strife "set the stage for this tragedy." A fire on Oct. 24 at the family's home in Prairie Village, a suburb of Kansas
Article Link:
NYTimes article
Doctor to Get Life in Killing of Her Children
NYTimes - almost 21 years
A doctor accused of killing two of her children in an arson fire and trying to poison her husband pleaded no contest today in exchange for a life prison sentence. Dr. Debora Green entered the plea on five charges after the state agreed to drop its request for the death penalty. Dr. Green, 45, was charged with aggravated arson, two counts of capital
Article Link:
NYTimes article
Kansas Doctor Is Accused in Fire That Killed 2 of Her Children
NYTimes - about 21 years
A doctor who escaped a fire that destroyed her family's $400,000 house a month ago has been arrested and charged with arson and murder in the deaths of two of her children, who died in the blaze. Dr. Debora Green was arrested on Wednesday at a Kansas City, Mo., theater where she had taken her surviving daughter, a 10-year-old ballerina, to practice
Article Link:
NYTimes article
Learn about memorable moments in the evolution of Debora Green
  • 2010
    Age 58
    Deadly Women, a true-crime documentary program that focuses on crimes committed by women, featured Green's case in a 2010 episode about women who kill their children. A 2002 working paper on bioterrorism, intended to "enable policymakers concerned with bioterrorism to make more informed decisions", included the Green case in a survey of illegal uses of biological agents.
    More Details Hide Details The paper noted that Green had refused to provide any detail on the manner in which she extracted and administered the ricin she used against her husband.
  • 1996
    Age 44
    A May 1996 issue of Redbook featured an essay by Ann Slegman, a friend of Green's who lived in the same neighborhood as the Farrar family.
    More Details Hide Details The article covered the author's personal history with Green, the fire, and the subsequent investigation and ended with the author's statement that "It is also possible that an entirely different personality—disassociated from the Debora I knew—committed this crime. The Debora I knew would not have killed her children." Crime author Ann Rule covered the case in her book Bitter Harvest: A Woman's Fury, a Mother's Sacrifice, which provided extensive detail on both the case's development and Green's personal biography. The book was a New York Times Bestseller, though one reviewer felt that Rule failed to address Green's motivation for her crimes and that she had treated Green unsympathetically and Farrar over-sympathetically.
    Ann Rule began corresponding with Green in 1996, and interviewed her in person in 1997.
    More Details Hide Details Rule recalls in her book on the case that Green's letters denied any unhappy childhood memories. Green claimed that though her behavior in the summer and fall of 1995 had been neglectful, she had neither the desire nor the wherewithal to set fire to her house or harm her children or her husband. Rule—who is neither a doctor nor a psychologist, but has a background in criminology and law enforcement—believes that even Green does not understand what caused her to attempt to murder Michael Farrar beyond the fact that she had come to hate him. Rule's theory is that in destroying Farrar, Green would have been able to preserve her own ego, in that Farrar would not have been able to leave her for another woman. Psychiatrist Michael H. Stone, using Rule's book as a source of information about Green, identifies Green as showing characteristics of psychopathy, borderline personality disorder, and narcissistic personality disorder.
    Green wrote to author Ann Rule in 1996 asserting that, due to alcohol abuse, she had not had the mental capacity to start a fire.
    More Details Hide Details In a later interview with Rule, she blamed her cloudy thinking during the court hearings on her Prozac prescription, and stated that once she was off the drug, her mind became much clearer. In 2000, represented by a new legal team, Green filed a request for a new trial on the basis of having been rendered incompetent by the psychiatric medications she was taking at the time of her hearings. She alleged that her original attorneys had failed to represent her adequately, instead focusing on avoiding a trial and the death penalty. She withdrew the request when prosecutors determined that they would seek the death penalty if a new trial was awarded. When, in 2004, the Kansas Supreme Court ruled the state's death penalty unconstitutional, she filed a second request for a new trial based on a claim of "manifest injustice". Green's attorneys claimed that new scientific techniques invalidated the evidence that the fire had been caused by arson. The request was denied in February 2005.
    After her sentencing Green continued to maintain that her recall of the night of the fire was limited. In the summer of 1996, she wrote to her daughter claiming that she had taken more than the recommended doses of her medications that night.
    More Details Hide Details Similar letters to Michael Farrar varied from claims that she had no recollection of the night to firmly stating that she was innocent of the arson. She theorized that Margaret Hacker had set fire to the family's house, and reiterated her claim from the show-cause hearing that Tim had been the one to poison his father.
    Green was formally sentenced on May 30, 1996, following testimony by the psychologist who had adjudged her competency.
    More Details Hide Details According to Dr. Marilyn Hutchinson, Green was immature and lacked the adult-level ability to cope with emotion. Green read another statement to the court and was formally sentenced to two concurrent forty-year prison sentences, minus the one hundred and ninety-one days she had already served. Green is serving her sentence at the Topeka Correctional Facility., Kansas Department of Corrections records show her earliest possible release date as November 21, 2035—when she will be 84 years old.
    A pretrial show cause hearing in the Green case began in January 1996, with Green represented by Dennis Moore and Kevin Moriarty.
    More Details Hide Details Green's defense claimed that the fire in the family home had been set not by Debora Green, but by her son, Tim Farrar, who had once been caught by local police setting off Molotov cocktails. The defense also attempted to attribute Farrar's poisoning to Tim, who did much of the cooking in the household. Michael Farrar underwent surgery in December 1995 to treat an abscess in his brain caused by the poisoning. Fearful that Farrar would not survive the proceedings, and knowing that his testimony was key to their case, prosecutors videotaped his testimony beforehand. The surgery was successful, and Farrar testified in person and recounted Green's problems with alcohol and the break-up of their marriage. Under cross-examination by Green's counsel, he admitted that both he and Green had contributed to the problems in the couple's marriage and that his relationship with his son had been so adversarial that they had sometimes come to blows.
  • 1995
    Age 43
    Fearful of another confrontation with Green, and looking forward to a trip to Peru the family had planned for June 1995, Farrar nevertheless decided to wait until after the trip to raise the issue of a divorce again.
    More Details Hide Details During their trip to Peru in June 1995, sponsored by The Pembroke Hill School, Farrar met and befriended Margaret Hacker, whose children also attended the school. Hacker was a registered nurse married to an anesthesiologist, and also unhappy with her marriage. The two began an affair shortly after both families returned from Peru. In late July, Farrar again asked Green for a divorce. Green responded hysterically and told the children that their father was leaving them. Green was especially upset that a broken home might later disqualify the children from debutante events such as the Belles of the American Royal. Despite the impending divorce, Farrar initially declined to move out of the family home. He was concerned that Green, who had never been a heavy drinker of alcohol, was suddenly consuming large quantities of it while supervising the children. Though Green continued her routine of ferrying the children to after-school activities, she would spend her evenings drinking at home, sometimes to the point of unconsciousness and nearly always until she lost what inhibitions she had left about her language in front of the children. On one occasion, Farrar was called home from work by the children, who had found their mother unresponsive. Green had disappeared from the home by the time Farrar arrived there, and though he eventually discovered that she had been hiding in the basement while he searched for her, she claimed at the time to have been wandering the town, hoping to be hit by a car.
  • 1994
    Age 42
    The improvements lasted mere months, however, and by the end of 1994, both Green and Farrar had fallen back to their old habits and the marriage was again foundering.
    More Details Hide Details
    In January 1994, Farrar asked Green for a divorce.
    More Details Hide Details Although she believed Farrar was having affairs outside the marriage, she later claimed to have been taken by surprise by his desire to end the marriage and responded to his asking for a divorce explosively, shouting and throwing things. Farrar moved out of the family home, though the two remained in contact and informally shared custody of the children. With the pressure of living together removed, they attempted reconciliation, and decided that a larger house would ease some of the disorganization that had affected their marriage. In May, after four months of separation, they put in a bid on a six-bedroom home in Prairie Village, Kansas, but backed out before the sale went through. Farrar later said that he had "backed down" in the face of his ongoing worries about the state of his marriage and the couple's debt load. Shortly after the Prairie Village home purchase fell through, however, the couple's Missouri home caught fire while the family was out. Insurance investigators later determined that the fire was caused by an electrical short in a power cord. Though the house was reparable and the couple's home insurance paid out on the damage and lost property, the couple decided to move on, and Green and the children moved into the apartment in which Farrar had been living during the separation while the purchase of the Prairie Village home was re-negotiated.
  • 1992
    Age 40
    In 1992, she gave up her practice and became a homemaker, working part-time from the family's house on medical peer reviews and Medicaid processing.
    More Details Hide Details Medical professionals who worked with her during this time described her as being distant and cold towards her patients and displaying obsessive behaviour towards her husband. Farrar later alleged that Green had been self-medicating with sedatives and narcotics to treat pain from infections and injuries periodically throughout their marriage. He recounted several episodes to author Ann Rule in which he had confronted Green with issues regarding her demeanor, handwriting, and speech patterns which indicated drug intoxication, and said that Green had agreed to stop using the medications each time he confronted her. The Farrar children were all engaged in activities outside the home. Timothy played both soccer and ice hockey, while Kate was a ballerina with the State Ballet of Missouri by the age of ten. During this time, Farrar worked long hours and Green accompanied the children to their activities, though perception of her by other parents at the activities varied—some felt she was a supportive mother, while others believed she drove her children too hard and put down their efforts too often.
  • 1985
    Age 33
    Two years later, a second child, Kate, was born. Green again returned to her studies after maternity leave, and by 1985 had completed her fellowship.
    More Details Hide Details She went into private practice in hematology and oncology while Farrar finished the last year of his cardiology fellowship. Later Green and Farrar both joined established medical practices in the Kansas City, Missouri, area. After a year, Green started her own private practice, which prospered until she became pregnant and took time off work for another maternity leave. The couple's third child, Kelly, was born on December 13, 1988. As the Farrar children grew old enough, they were enrolled in The Pembroke Hill School, a private school in Kansas City. Green was reportedly a good mother who wanted the best for her children and encouraged them in their activities of choice. Though she attempted to resume her medical career after her last maternity leave, her practice faltered and her chronic pain increased.
  • 1979
    Age 27
    Green married Michael Farrar in 1979 while practicing as an emergency physician. The marriage was tumultuous, and Farrar filed for divorce in July 1995.
    More Details Hide Details Between August and September 1995, Farrar repeatedly fell violently ill, and despite numerous hospitalizations his doctors could not pinpoint the source of his illness. Green's emotional stability deteriorated and she began to drink heavily, even while supervising her children. On October 24, 1995, the Farrar family home, occupied by Green and the couple's three children, caught fire. Kate Farrar and Debora Green escaped without harm, but despite the efforts of firefighters, Timothy and Kelly Farrar died in the blaze. Investigation showed that trails of accelerant in the house led back to Green's bedroom, and that the source of Michael Farrar's intractable illness had been ricin, a poison served to him in his food by Green. Upon her arrest on November 22, 1995, Green was charged with two counts of first-degree murder, two counts of attempted first-degree murder, and one count of aggravated arson. She was held on $3,000,000 bail—the highest ever required at that point in time by Johnson County, Kansas—and maintained her innocence throughout pre-trial motions and a show cause hearing. However, when the defense's own investigators verified the strength of forensic evidence against Green, she agreed to an Alford plea to all charges. On May 30, 1996, she was sentenced to two concurrent forty-year prison sentences. Green has petitioned for a new trial twice since her conviction. Her first request, which she eventually withdrew, was based on a claim of having been rendered incompetent for plea bargaining by the psychiatric medications she was taking at the time of her hearings; her second, which was denied by a judge, claimed that the evidence used to convict her of arson had been rendered obsolete by scientific advances.
    The couple were married on May 26, 1979.
    More Details Hide Details When Farrar was accepted for an internal medicine residency at the University of Cincinnati, the couple moved to Ohio. Green went into practice at Jewish Hospital as an emergency physician, but grew dissatisfied and eventually switched specialties. She began a second residency in internal medicine, joining Farrar's program. By the early 1980s, the Farrars were living in Cincinnati, Ohio. During this time Green suffered a number of medical issues, including surgery on an infected wrist, cerebellar migraines, and insomnia. The Farrars' first child, Timothy, was born on January 20, 1982. After a six-week maternity leave, Green returned to her fellowship in hematology and oncology at the University of Cincinnati.
  • 1978
    Age 26
    Throughout her undergraduate and medical school attendance, she dated Duane M. J. Green, an engineer. The couple married while she was studying at the University of Kansas. The couple lived together in Independence, Missouri, while Debora finished her residency, but by 1978 they had separated and then divorced.
    More Details Hide Details Debora cited basic incompatibility as the reason for the divorce—"We had absolutely no common interests", she was later quoted as saying—but the divorce was friendly. During the period the Greens were separated, Debora met Michael Farrar, a student in his twenties completing his last year of medical school. Farrar was struck by Green's intelligence and vitality, though he was embarrassed by her habit of explosively losing her temper at minor slights. In contrast, Green felt that Farrar was a stable, dependable presence.
  • 1972
    Age 20
    She attended the University of Kansas School of Medicine from 1972 to her graduation in 1975.
    More Details Hide Details Green chose emergency medicine as her initial specialty and undertook a residency in the Truman Medical Center Emergency Room after her graduation from medical school.
    Though she had intended to pursue chemical engineering as a career, she opted to attend medical school after graduating in 1972, believing the market was flooded with engineers.
    More Details Hide Details
  • 1969
    Age 17
    Green attended the University of Illinois from the fall of 1969, where she took a major in chemistry.
    More Details Hide Details
  • 1951
    Green was born February 28, 1951, the second of two daughters to Joan and Bob Jones of Havana, Illinois.
    More Details Hide Details She showed early intellectual promise, and is reported to have taught herself to read and write before she was three years old. Green participated in a number of school activities at the two high schools she attended and was a National Merit Scholar and co-valedictorian of her high school class. Those who knew her at the time later described her as "fitting right in" and someone who was "going to be successful".
Original Authors of this text are noted here.
All data offered is derived from public sources. Spokeo does not verify or evaluate each piece of data, and makes no warranties or guarantees about any of the information offered. Spokeo does not possess or have access to secure or private financial information. Spokeo is not a consumer reporting agency and does not offer consumer reports. None of the information offered by Spokeo is to be considered for purposes of determining any entity or person's eligibility for credit, insurance, employment, housing, or for any other purposes covered under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)