John Weir

Royal Ulster Constabulary Officer
Born 1950

John Oliver Weir, is an Ulster loyalist born in the Republic of Ireland. He served as an officer in Northern Ireland's Royal Ulster Constabulary's (RUC) Special Patrol Group (SPG) (an anti-terrorist unit), and was a volunteer in the illegal Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF).… Read More

related links

News + Updates

Browse recent news and stories about John Weir.


Learn about the memorable moments in the evolution of John Weir.


1950 Birth Weir was born in 1950 in County Monaghan, Ireland and brought up in the Church of Ireland religion on an estate near Castleblaney, where his father was employed as a gamekeeper for an Anglo-Irish family. … Read More


1970 20 Years Old Initially he had considered joining the Garda Síochána, the police force of the Republic of Ireland; however, in keeping with his family's unionist political traditions, he opted to join Northern Ireland's police force, the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) in March 1970 when he was 20 years of age. … Read More
1972 22 Years Old He was transferred to Armagh RUC station in 1972, and it was there on 1 August 1973 he was recruited into the Special Patrol Group (SPG), which was the RUC's "anti-terrorist" unit. … Read More
1973 23 Years Old By the end of 1973, members of the SPG decided that they would have to "break the rules to curb the terrorists", by which they meant republican paramilitaries. Following the killing of an Ulster Defence Regiment (UDR) officer in 1974 by the IRA, rumours spread that Weir had been involved in the UVF's retaliatory killing of prominent IRA man John Francis Green in County Monaghan. … Read More
He was therefore sent for his own safety to the SPG unit in Castlereagh, Belfast on 25 January 1975, fifteen days after Green's shooting. … Read More
Weir later admitted to have been indirectly involved in the bombing and shooting attack at the nationalist Tully's Bar in Belleeks on 8 March 1976. … Read More
…  Along with his RUC colleague Billy McCaughey, Weir was convicted of the 1977 sectarian killing of Catholic chemist William Strathern and sentenced to life imprisonment.
1979 29 Years Old Weir had been arrested at work in Magherafelt shortly before Christmas 1979 for his part in the murder and subsequently confessed his involvement at Castlereagh Holding Centre following interrogation. … Read More


1980 30 Years Old Weir pleaded not guilty but was convicted in June 1980 on the basis of admissions he had made during police interrogation. … Read More


1993 43 Years Old Although he was sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of William Strathern, he was released on license on 1 February 1993. … Read More
In January 1999, to assist journalist Sean McPhilemy who was being sued for libel, Weir made a affidavit containing 62 paragraphs in which he outlined in detail the instances of collusion between his RUC and SPG colleagues, members of the UDR, and loyalist paramilitaries such as Robin Jackson. … Read More


2000 50 Years Old In an interview with the RUC on 9 August 2000, James Mitchell staunchly denied Weir's allegations about him, and referred to Weir as a "damned liar and convicted murderer". … Read More
2003 53 Years Old Weir's affidavit which implicated Jackson, other members of the Glenanne gang, soldiers of the Ulster Defence Regiment (UDR), and his colleagues in the RUC and SPG, in a series of sectarian attacks, including the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, was published in the 2003 Barron Report, the findings of an official investigation into the 1974 car bombings commissioned by Irish Supreme Court Justice Henry Barron.
2006 56 Years Old 1 More Event
The panel published in their 2006 report that RUC ballistics evidence concerning the firearms used in the attacks corroborated Weir's allegations.
Original Authors of this text are noted on
Text is made available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.