Earth Day was celebrated on Sunday, and it’s always a great way to increase awareness of environmental issues and appreciation for the Earth’s natural environment. This week’s list focuses on the top 10 eco-friendly celebrities who are currently in the news.
Top 10 Eco-friendly Celebrities:
1. Al Gore – served as the 45th Vice President of the United States, and is currently an author and environmental activist. He has founded a number of non-profit organizations, including the Alliance for Climate Protection, and has received a Nobel Peace Prize for his work in climate change activism.
2. Orlando Bloom – an English actor. He has been a part of Global Green since the early 2000s, and has been approached by UNICEF to act as an international ambassador.
3. Terri Irwin – a naturalist, author, widow of Australian naturalist Steve Irwin and owner of the Australia Zoo at Beerwah, Queensland, Australia.
4. Leonardo DiCaprio – an actor and film producer. He is a committed environmentalist, and in 2009 bought an island in Belize on which he is planning to create an eco-friendly resort. In November 2010, DiCaprio donated $1,000,000 to the Wildlife Conservation Society at Russia’s tiger summit. He lives in an apartment in an eco-friendly building in Manhattan.
5. Jake Gyllenhaal – an actor who is also environmentally conscious. He spends $400 a year to have trees planted in a Mozambique forest, partly to promote the Future Forests program, and also flew to the Arctic after filming The Day After Tomorrow to promote awareness of climate change.
6. Natalie Portman – an actress and advocate for animal rights. She has been a vegetarian since childhood, and become a vegan in 2009. In 2007, she launched her own brand of vegan footwear; that same year she traveled to Rwanda with Jack Hanna, to film the documentary Gorillas on the Brink.
7. Tom Hanks – an actor, producer, writer, and director. He is an investor in electric vehicles and supports alternative fuels.
8. Chris Martin – an English singer-songwriter, who is the lead vocalist, pianist and rhythm guitarist of the band Coldplay. He’s outspoken on issues of fair trade and has campaigned for Oxfam’s Make Trade Fair campaign.
9. Stella McCartney – an English fashion designer. She has won numerous awards including the Green Designer of the Year at the ACE Awards (2008, New York) and in 2009 she was honored by the NRDC.
10. Bill Gates – an investor, philanthropist, author, and former CEO and current chairman of Microsoft. He founded the Bill & Melina Gates Foundation, which is involved with many green and global development programs.
To learn more about these celebrities, click the links to see their full profiles.