2012 Olympic Games – Athletes to watch
Written byJuly 27, 2012
The Opening Ceremonies of the 2012 Summer Olympic Games have kicked off and we couldn’t be more excited. Here’s a quick list of ten U.S. athletes to make sure to watch and cheer on!
10. Mariel Zagunis – For the fourth time in the last seven summer Olympics, the U.S. has chosen a woman to bear the flag in the Opening Ceremonies. Zagunis – a fencer – is only the second American to ever take the gold in the Olympic sport.
9. Brady Ellison -The archer from Glendale, Ariz. is thought to be a favorite for the Gold.
8. McKayla Maroney – The 2011 World Vault Champion has re-injured a broken toe, but still plans to compete in the event to defend her title.
7. Timmy Duggan – This young cyclist is all healed (during a competition in 2007, he crashed and suffered a severe head injury) and ready to take his five-man U.S. men’s road cycling team to the finish line on Saturday.
6. Ashton Eaton – This American Decathlete holds the world record in both the decathlon and heptathlon events and is a clear favorite for the games this summer.
5. Maya Moore – In college, she lead an undefeated Connecticut to an National Championship and is currently a forward with the Minnesota Lynx (WNBA).
4. Ryan Lochte – With six medals (three gold, two silver and one bronze) what can we expect from the dashing swimmer this year??
1. Michael Phelps – Of course he’s on our list (I bet you read along and wondered why he hadn’t been mentioned yet!). The record-breaking, 16-medal winning swimmer is set to be at star again at the 2012 games.
We hope you’re a little more familiar with our Team USA and enjoy watching the ceremonies tonight.
Credit: Los Angeles Times, Business2Community.com