Some people couldn’t tell a lie to save their lives. Others keep romantic relationships on the side without their spouses or partners ever finding out. If you suspect that your better half has another half you’re not aware of, you might want to consider finding out whether your suspicions of infidelity are true. One of the first things you can do to investigate the situation is take a look at the apps installed on your partner’s phone.
Just like technology can reveal the activities of a cheating spouse, it can also help conceal them. Here we’ve listed the most common apps used for infidelity.
Apps That Serial Cheaters Love to Use
Serial cheaters are always on the hunt for someone new, and they calculate their activities carefully so the different people they’re involved with never find out about each other. One way serial cheaters keep their affairs hidden is to use the following smartphone apps:
- Viber: Viber is a messaging app with some cloak-and-dagger features like Secret Chats that delete themselves after a few minutes. Cheaters can use Viber to send intimate images, videos and messages without a record of their incriminating behavior. Viber’s hidden chats stay invisible until a PIN is entered that causes them to appear in the chat list.
- Signal: Like Viber, Signal features automatically disappearing messages that delete after a set amount of time. Signal’s use of end-to-end encryption means that only the intended recipient is able to decrypt the message—no one else, not even the app’s maker. Touted by public figures like whistleblower Edward Snowden and Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, Signal recently saw a huge boom in sign-ups after Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted his approval for the secure messaging app.
- Telegram: Telegram is a popular messaging app in its own right, making it a less-obvious tool used by cheaters. However, just like Signal and Viber, the latest version of Telegram has an autodestruct feature for messages and secret chats that are visible only after a PIN is entered.
If you confront a cheating partner about these apps, they will probably have an excuse for installing them: “It’s necessary to communicate with the office” or “It’s needed to stay in touch with a friend who doesn’t use WhatsApp or Facebook.” This could be the truth, but if your instincts say otherwise, be on alert.
Apps That Occasional Cheaters Use
Occasional cheaters are a lot more common than serial cheaters, and they probably won’t be using autodestructing messages and secret chats to hide their affairs. The apps that occasional cheaters use are the most common messaging apps, although they also might install a dating app like Tinder on their phones.
Here are the apps that occasional cheaters use:
- WhatsApp: Your significant other might be using the popular chat app WhatsApp to communicate with a secret love partner. This app doesn’t feature secret conversations, but a cheating partner could manually delete incriminating text conversations from the chat history so you’re less likely to find out about them.
- Facebook Messenger: Facebook Messenger is another seemingly innocuous chat app that your partner could be using for a secret relationship. It’s easy enough to connect and flirt with old co-workers, classmates and exes via Facebook Messenger. A lot of people consider digital flirting to be harmless and fair game in a relationship. Where do you stand on this issue? And are you and your partner clear about it?
- Tinder, Grindr, Bumble and Other Dating Apps: It should go without saying that if your committed partner has Tinder, Grindr, Bumble or some other dating app installed on their smartphone, you’re in serious trouble. Do yourself a favor and learn the names of the most popular dating apps. If you see one of them installed on a partner’s phone, it’s time to start asking questions.
Spokeo Can Help You Expose a Cheating Partner’s Activities
Spokeo is an internet-based people search tool that uses over 12 billion records to reveal interesting truths — such as secret social media accounts or dating profiles — about the people in your life. Whether it’s a potentially cheating spouse, a new friend or a business contact, you might want to run a Spokeo search by entering their name on our website. Let’s hope your suspicions are wrong — but if the person has a criminal record (additional fees may apply for a criminal search) or a speckled past they don’t want you to know about, you might find out about it with our easy-to-use search engine.
Along with his fascination for emerging technologies like internet technology, blockchain, encryption and the laws and market trends that follow them, Jeremy Hillpot’s background in consumer-investor fraud litigation provides a unique perspective on a vast array of topics including website tech, investments, startups, cryptocurrencies and the law.